Saturday, July 26, 2008

There's A Voice...

Not sure anyone is going to get this or appreciate it, but, oh well. I guess this is the result of a slow July weekend where I attended, not one, but two birthday parties for girls too young to know what a Maple Leafs Blog is. Maybe it was all the balloons, maybe it was the animals at the farm, or maybe I need more nutrition than just beer and birthday cake when I'm sitting out in the hot sun, but whatever, something got me thinking about an amazing TV show I used to watch when I was a goofy little monkey child. The opening credits had a beautiful song about travelling, and as it played in my mind yesterday, the smell of diapers, the screams of my own 1-year old daughter, and the void of anything hockey-related overwhelmed me. I lost consciousness and passed out, but just in that delirious moment before I blissfully drifted away, visions of Mats Sundin filled my head, while Ron Wilson's melodic voice blended into a kaleidoscope of harmony and colour...

There's a voice...

Keeps on calling me... Down the road...
That's where I'll always be...
And every stop I make...











I make a new friend...









Can't stay for long...











Just turn around...

And I'm gone again...
Maybe tomorrow I'll wanna settle down...


Until tomorrow...

The whole world is my home.


4 comments:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

You know, even if Mats does leave, I hope he realizes how much of an impact he made on the lives of fans like you and I, and on this city.

I just can't understand how people are ready to put him up on the cross after all he did for this team. he played with marginal offensive talent his entire career in toronto, and still ended up the highest scoring maple leaf ever.

sure, it would have been nice for him to deliver us a stanley cup, but neither did gilmour or clark, and people make it seem like those two walked on water.

Jaredoflondon said...

littlest.hobo.4.life!

St.Andrews-by-the-Lake said...

I think the situation with the Leafs, and actually the whole NHL, is a perfect plot scenario for a Littlest Hobo Come back show.
Cliff Fletcher- a father figure- is separated from lost little boy Mats- who is down a well of indecision somewhere between Vancouver and Montreal. Side plot: Gary Bettman is stealing resources from honest hockey-loving Torontonians and giving them to ungrateful un-hockeyed Americans who will never love like we love.

Hobo to the Rescue- only you can save us now.

Wake-up NHL execs: a German Shepherd could do your job and do it better!

general borschevsky said...

eyebleaf:Dougie didn't walk on water, but boy could he skate on ice. Kinda similar. And Wendel bestows that ability on those who he deems worthy.
jaredoflondon:4-Life. No exceptions.
jacky:Wow. Awesome comment.

down a well of indecision

Gold. And your side-plot was hilarious. Made the whole thing worthwhile. Thanks a lot, whoever you are. Keep 'em coming.